Monday, November 21, 2011

Not a Second too Late!

     So, I realize I haven't had a post in almost 2 months. *dodges rotted fruit* Between my lack of time and intense case of writer's block I have done many things, though, which I will now describe to you!
    October 1st I spent the day kayaking with Rotary students on the Lesse River. It was a 12 km trip which took about 5-6 hours on an absolutely beautiful day! (+/-23°C) It was incredibly scenic and we got to view a castle on a cliff almost directly above us, as well as paddle within a couple of meters of some cows drinking from the river. (Moo!) The water was a little low due to it being late in the season, which made for difficult passage at a few spots, but nevertheless, I had an amazing time! Also, that day was a great oppurtunity to really get to know the other students because we we two to a kayak. I got to know Kanen, a student from Canada!
     On October 5, I had a chance to visit the Fort Eben-Emael, which dates back to WW2. We got a tour which included the living quarters, hospital/medical area, the platform with the giant guns for defense, and an area of the fort that was destroyed when Germany dropped bombs on it. It was really intense to see the giant metal doors marking the entrance into the last area ballooned and warped as if they had been made of paper. It makes you wonder what the inhabitants of the fort must have felt at that exact moment.
     I visited another site related to the war shortly after on 16 with my family. They took me to the American Cemetary in Henri-Chapelle, a town about 5 minutes away from where I live. Again, it was really thought-provoking to see the nearly 8,000 crosses and stars of David spawling out infront of you, each inscribed with the name of a soldier who never got to go home. It was a beautiful place, nonetheless.
     After we had made our tour of the American Cemetary, my family took me to Le Trois Frontières, the place where the borders of Belgium, Germany, and the Netherlands merge. Unfortunately, the actual point was fenced off, but I did get a photo at the small monument dictating the location of the Netherlands! My favorite part of this trip was going to the top of the tower there and looking out at the three countries!
     Next on my list is my trip to Brugge!!! On the 5th of this month I had a chance to visit Brugge with a few other exhange students, which was fantastic! (and well worth the total of 6 hours on the train!) We spent the day wandering the old town, which is exactly what the average person thinks of when they imagine the stereotypical quaint European town. Quite, cobblestone roads, and old buildings and houses everywhere! You might think that you had been transported back to the 17th or 18th century if it wasn't for the occasional automobile that passed you by! We also took the boat tour, which gives you a wonderful view of the city. And it didn't rain, which was a bonus! The atmosphere was amazing and I definitely recommend you go to visit if you ever get a chance!
      So those are the major points of what I have been up too! Interspersed between those events are music rehearsals for my orchestra, Rotary meetings, and other random happenings! I plan to start updating on a regular basis again, starting with an entry on Holidays and an entry on school here in the near future! Tantôt! (Later!)

No comments:

Post a Comment