Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Ma Semaine et La Nourriture!!!!! (Partie 1)

     I have nothing this afternoon (decided to forego my usual wednesday adventures in favor of saving a few euros!) so here is an extra long post containing my activities this week as well as the long awaiting notes on the spectacular cuisine of Belgium!!!
     First, I would like to make a few comments on the execution of Troy Davis. Because though it took place in the US, it had a global impact. As someone who had personally written letters and emails on his behalf for a few years prior to the final decision, the choice made saddens me. The death penalty is a horrendous institution (in my opinion) and even now, a week after Troy's unfortunate end, I still have my "Not in my name"/"Pas en mon nom" paper, which I wore proudly on my back last wednesday in honor of his life, attached to the front of my school binder. My French 3 professor (who lived in Louisiana for a few years teaching French) and I had a discussion on the execution the day after, including the factors playing into it and the implications brought on by it. I can't help but wonder what the people here think of the American Judiciary System right now, considering most European countries have outlawed the institution of the Death Penalty. But, in any case, this was a big part of my week, so I felt I should share it with you. Rest in peace, Troy.
     Continuing on, as I believe was mentioned in my previous post, I moved families last Thursday night. The reason why I have come to live here for this short amount of time is that my host parents are on vacation in Sardinia, and since I cannot stay home with only my 20 year old host siblings, I was moved to the house of another Rotarian. While at first I was slightly dismayed by this turn of events, it has turned out very well! The family is very nice, and while they don't speak as much English, which can be difficult at times, they are very patient. They got me whole grain bread, lots of fresh fruit, and made me fresh waffles! Also, on Saturday when I went shopping with Marie and Celine (The mom and older sister) Marie bought me a cute scarf as a gift! The family consists of Dominique (the dad), Marie (the mom), Celine (the older sister, who is 21) and Sophie (the younger sister, who is 19). Dominique is a pharmacist, and the house is behind his pharmacy in the town square. My walk to school is now less than 5 minutes (which I rather enjoy) and Marie makes my lunch for me everyday! :) Celine and Sophie are in school, Celine for something relating to language and Sophie for Architecture. I'm not sure exactly what Marie does, but what I caught from our conversation on it was that she is an assassin and helps the police. (?) Sounds pretty impressive, must say.  So, overall, I like this family alot and think I will miss them when I leave Sunday.
     I have to get off for now, but tonight (Midday my American followers) I will post part two!

No comments:

Post a Comment